Pictures of house are very deceptive
Veröffentlicht am 21.08.2019 auf HomeAway
This house is actually very old and run down. The windows do not open, shower knobs do not work and there is mold in them, the tile sinks in when you step on it by the shower, there were a lot of bugs and spiders, there are portable cooling units in the bedrooms with ducting that is duct taped to open windows (a safety concern), the door to the “guest house” opens even when it’s locked (another safety concern), the entrance to the house is on the very busy Pacific Coast Highway (another safety concern), and the outdoor furniture is very rusty and dirty. The description of the location says it has a private beach, which it does, but that is because for the most part of the day the waves crash right on the wall of the house so it is nearly impossible to enjoy it. We feel like we were very deceived by the description and pictures that the owner provided. We were very disappointed and didn’t enjoy this house.
Kommentar von Hotelmanagement
29.03.2020 von VrboOwner, Hotelmanagement
We’re sorry that our home didn’t meet your expectations. We have always received nothing but positive reviews from our guests (including 5 star ratings from guests who stayed in the house shortly before you) and are taken aback by your claims. We know you had never stayed at a beach house in Malibu before so we understand this may have affected your expectations and contributed to your dissatisfaction.
1. "Old home”- As is the case with many of the homes along the coast in Malibu, the home was built in the 1930's. Nowhere in the listing was it stated that this was a new construction. We did, however, complete a major remodel just 5 years ago
2. "Windows don't open”- with the exception of one kitchen window which had been previously sealed shut, the other 20 windows in the house open just fine
3. "Shower knobs don't work”- we have never had another guest have an issue working the knobs and they are all working fine, Had you told us that you were having an issue, we could have offered our help.
4. "Mold" in the knobs - there is no mold in the knobs and you have not sent us any pictures of such.
5. "Alot of bugs and spiders" - House has regular pest control service and we have not seen or had reports of any unusual bugs or pests.
6. "Portable a/c units"- We have wall a/c units in the main living area, master and guest house (all new installed within the last 2 mos). This was a particularly hot summer so we decided to put portable units in the two rooms to make it more comfortable for guests. The vents have to go out through the windows (hence "window a/c unit") but they are secured and bolted in place with the parts that come with the units. There is no issue with safety. We put the units in for your and other renters' comfort during the summer thinking that would be a nice addition for the hotter days. Had you requested, we could have removed them if it would have made you feel safer.
7. "Door to guest house opens when locked" - we noticed after you checked out that the latch bolt was stuck. Our handyman easily fixed the issue and it works fine. Again, had you advised us of this issue during your stay, we could have sent our handyman over (I did offer to send our handyman over to address any of your concerns, but you never responded).
8. "Entrance to the house is on PCH"- all the houses that are on the beach in Malibu open out onto PCH. Our house is actually safer than most because the door that takes you into the main house is located at the bottom of the staircase (ie you don't go directly from PCH into the house)
9. "Outdoor furniture is rusty/dirty” - we replaced all our lounge cushions last year. They sit on top of concrete built ins which can't rust. The dining table and lounge chairs are shockingly not rusted despite being exposed to the salt air 24/7. The dining chairs were just replaced last year and are in great condition.
10. "Waves crashing onto the wall" - your complaint is most likely due to the fact that you are not familiar with Malibu beaches. There are 2 high & 2 low tides everyday. Per our listing and the house instructions, during high tide the water can come up to the beach steps (depending on how high the high tide is that day). This is true of ALL beaches in Malibu. Interestingly, most people comment that this is something that they love!
Most of our guests are very high net worth consumers and are used to staying in fine hotels and renting fine homes. We have had over 100 beyond satisfied guests. You are the first to complain in this manner or post a negative review. We wish you all the best and are sorry you didn’t enjoy your experience.